Friday, April 1, 2011

A Different Kind of Poverty

The word, "care" has been on my mind a lot lately. We do most things in our lives in order to get other people to care for us. I could even take it as far as saying we do most things in order to get people to love us. And it can be as simple as just wanting people to like us. Whatever you want to call it, people want other people to pay attention either a little or a lot.

I have been reading some quotes from Mother Teresa. Whatever faith you practice or come from, you have to admit she was amazing. This quote has been rolling around in my head for a few months now,

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat."


-Mother Teresa
I agree, it's actually much easier to physically feed someone than it is to feed someones soul. And plenty of people are starving out there.

If we start with the notion that everyone is motivated out of the need to bee wanted, loved, liked or cared for, we really start to see peoples actions in a different light. (Here's where I may step on some toes)



Take plastic surgery for instance. I live, as I've stated before, in Orange County. Plastic surgery is everywhere you look in this county. Most people who are not on board with plastic surgery view it as shallow and vain. Can that assumption be true, sure.


But what if that person is just so lonely that they think the only way to get someone to care for them is to alter their appearance.

I've seen and read stories of women that have undergone so many surgeries that they ended up destroying themselves in order to just be noticed and liked.

Is this an extreme example of how far people will go, yes and no. Plastic surgery is more commonplace these days than ever before.

As human we will do things to get any type of attention, even if it's negative, just to be acknowledged.

So where does this  fit into The Returning Dignity Project? If people will go to such extremes to be cared for, then simple gestures of care can go further than we ever imagined.

Often times, people are so thirsty for love and care that they will drink from a polluted well. I've done it myself.

Our choice everyday is whether we are offering people true care or just more of the same pollution they are used to.


Your challenge this week has been to call someone by name. Have you been doing it? Have you really though about how far that goes with someone who feels unseen, unknown or uncared for?


It can go pretty far.


Look I'm not perfect by any means and I'm not asking any of you to be either. I'm learning as much during this project as all f you are.

The next time judgement comes to your mind about someones appearance or attitude, just remember they may just be asking for you to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment